Runtime performance degradation for multi-threaded C FFI callback

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:49:16 CET 2012

Hi Simon,

I'm not certain that your explanation matches what I observed.

All of my tests were done on a 4-core machine, executing with "+RTS
-N", which should be the same as "+RTS -N4" I believe.

With 1 Haskell thread (the main thread) and 4 process threads (via
pthreads), I saw a significant performance degradation compared to 5
Haskell threads (main + 4 via forkIO) and 4 process threads.  As I
understand your explanation, if C callbacks are scheduled according to
available capabilities, there should be no difference between these
situations.

I observed this with GHC-7.2.1, however Daniel Fischer reported that,
with ghc-7.2.2, he observed different behavior (which matches your
explanation AFAICT).  Is it possible that the scheduling of callbacks
into Haskell changed between those versions?

Thanks,
John L.