ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Austin Seipp mad.one at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 06:10:26 CET 2012

I too was seeing this with RC1, but I haven't tried RC2. Looking at
the commits on the 7.4 branch, I don't see anything that would have
likely affected/fixed it, so I speculate I'll see the same thing with
RC2. I'll try tonight and report back.

I will note that manually built copies of HEAD work just dandy. I do
wonder if it's a problem with the binary distribution itself, as
opposed to some bug fix that didn't get merged into 7.4. I wonder if I
built my own copy and binary-dist of 7.4 if GHCi would segfault or not
- this would indicate it being a problem with the binary distribution
if it doesn't (which sucks, as it means you have to compile it
yourself.)

Ian, can I ask what the procedure would be to check out the 7.4 branch
of GHC and all the associated libraries to try this out? I'm not
familiar with all the `sync-all`-fu, but I speculate it's what'll do
it. :)

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately ghci still segfaults for me most times (the previous
> release candidate did too).  Anyone else seeing this?  What should I
> do to troubleshoot?
>
> OS X 10.6.8, using GHC-7.4.0.20120126-x86_64.pkg
>
> I'll try GHC-7.4.0.20120126-i386.pkg in a bit, but I probably do need
> the 64 bit version, previously I had to hassle around with the 32bit
> version because it didn't want to link with all the other 64 bit
> compiled code.
>
> Also, I notice that the ghc, ghci, ghc-pkg, and haddock links are all
> versioned, but not hsc2hs.  hsc2hs is also highly dependent on the ghc
> version so it should be versioned too!  I suppose this is for the mac
> package maintainer (Mark M, that's you, right?).  What I mean by
> versioned is that the other binaries have a ghc and then a
> ghc-$version link, so I can switch ghc versions by running a little
> shell script.  But for hsc2hs I have to create the hsc2h-$version link
> first.  Not a big deal, just a minor quibble.
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:
>>
>>    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/
>>
>> This includes the source tarball, installers for OS X and Windows, and
>> bindists for amd64/Linux, i386/Linux, amd64/FreeBSD and i386/FreeBSD.
>>
>> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
>> before the release!
>>
>> We expect this to be the last release candidate, with the final release
>> in approximately 1 week's time.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Ian, on behalf of the GHC team

Regards,