ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Sanket Agrawal sanket.agrawal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 15:52:13 CET 2012

I installed it on my mac (OS X 10.7.2, XCode 4.1) without any issues (using
bindist, not pkg). Is upgrading to XCode 4.2 ok from GHC perspective (more
specifically, runtime performance of code compiled by GHC)? I have seen
some discussion of Clang causing issues for GHC, but it was about compiling
GHC RTS using gcc instead of llvm-gcc. XCode 4.2 has only llvm-gcc, it
seems. But, as long as I use GHC bindist, that shouldn't matter.

The reason I am asking is I want to try LLVM backend but GHC keeps
complaining about missing llvm tools (opt, llc). I checked LLVM webpage but
couldn't find information about how to determine what llvm tools are
installed on my Mac. My guess is XCode 4.1 comes with llvm backend for GCC,
but not standalone LLVM tools that GHC needs, and that upgrading to XCode
4.2 would give me LLVM 3.0 tools as well. Please correct me if I got it
wrong.