How to describe this bug?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:25:39 CEST 2012

On 11/07/2012 08:36, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this bug is serious and should be turned into a ticket on
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
> Would you do so Sönke?
>
> The abstraction of floats (Float or Double) is broken if equality
> considers (random and invisible) excess bits that are not part of the
> ordinary sign, exponent and fraction representation.
>
> It should also hold: show f1 == show f2  => f1 == f2
> and: read (show f) == f
> (apart from NaN)
>
> Why do you "doubt that we'll ever fix this", Simon?

Several reasons:

  - the fix hurts performance badly, because you have to store floats
    into memory after every operation. (c.f. gcc's -ffloat-store option)
  - the fix is complicated
  - good workarounds exist (-msse2)
  - it is rarely a problem

> What is the problem to disable -fexcess-precision or enable -msse2 (on
> most machines) by default?

-fexcess-precision cannot be disabled on x86 (that is the bug).

-msse2 is not supported on all processors, so we can't enable it by default.