can't compile ghc-7.4.1: No rule to make target `libraries/process/ghc.mk'

Tim Cuthbertson tim at gfxmonk.net
Thu May 31 00:30:19 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:44:26PM +1000, Tim Cuthbertson wrote:
>>
>> Configuring hsc2hs-0.67...
>> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `libraries/process/ghc.mk'.  Stop.
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> Any hints?
>
> That file should be included in the source tarball.
>

> Thanks
> Ian

Ahh, whoops. I had done a `git init && git add * && git commit -m
'pristine'` so that I could see what changed after a full build, or
easily start over if I did something wrong. But since I'd tried it a
couple of times I'd also done a `git clean -fdx && git reset --hard`
(to get back to the pristine state).

It turns out that some .gitignore files are included in the source
tarball (all under libraries/*/.gitignore), so it actually cleaned up
files that were supposed to be there. I'm not sure if it was
intentional to include the .gitignore files in the tarball, but it
seems like a surprising thing to do.

Thanks,
 - Tim.