Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Tue Nov 27 21:15:59 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:38:21PM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 02:52:48PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > The various issues are described in a wiki page here:
> >     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DynamicByDefault
> >
> > If you have a few minutes to read it then we'd be glad to hear your
> > feedback, to help us in making our decisions
>
> Regarding Question 7 (enable dynamic by default on other platforms)
> and OpenBSD: as long as it's easy to disable it again, I'll be happy
> with *any* decision.

It will be easy to turn it off, but depending on the platform we might
have removed support for GHCi when it's turned off.

Does ghci work for you currently?

Is this a registerised or unregisterised build?

> That's partially because currently we've even a patch explicitely
> disabling shared library support in our ports/packages system (last
> time I tried with shared lib support, I got some segfaults in the
> midst of the build, and unfortunately I'm still too short of time
> to debug/fix it).

That's a bit bizarre. With shared libraries enabled, there still won't
be any dynamically linked programs actually run.

Thanks
Ian