Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Jens Petersen juhp at community.haskell.org
Wed Nov 28 04:02:33 CET 2012

Hi,

> GHC HEAD now has support for using dynamic libraries by default (and in
> particular, using dynamic libraries and the system linker in GHCi) for a
> number of platforms.

I am very happy to hear this news.

I have long been a quiet proponent for defaulting ghc and Cabal to
shared libraries and dynamic linking for Linux.
I think Fedora was probably the first Linux distro to enable ghc
shared libs and use dynamic linking for executables in our packages.
Having ghci and cabal linking benefiting from dynamic linking seems a
positive step forward indeed IMHO.
I hope we will see ghc shared libs support spreading also to other
Linux archs (particularly ARM).

Sure it will change deployment workflow somewhat but that is what
Linux distros are for. :)

I am looking forward to test this with Fedora's Haskell packages very much.

Jens

ps Btw RHEL is also increasingly moving to 64bit.