GHC Performance Tsar

Austin Seipp mad.one at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 21:55:34 CET 2012

I can also offer a decently spec'd linux x86_64 machine, and a
functional OS X x86_64 Mountain Lion machine too. If possible I'll
offer my ARMv7 board as well, which currently fails late in the stage2
build on DPH. I haven't figured that one out just yet. All these can
all be available on a regular basis (for nightly builds or whatever)
with little interruption. Any ARM machine now is slow enough to where
builds would need to be once per day at best, anyway.

I was thinking of something like arewefastyet.com that Mozilla has for
JavaScript, instead comparing different GHC versions. CodeSpeed seems
to be that and much more, after looking at the PyPy speed website. It
looks really nice. If it can accept JSON requests for build results
from certain platforms, I think that tying it into the current builder
infrastructure (which runs nofib every night anyway from my
understanding) would be relatively easy, and save a lot of effort. It
looks like it tracks the differences between runs (and stores them in
a database,) so you wouldn't need to use nofib-analyze or anything,
and can just submit raw metrics.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM, John Wiegley <johnw at fpcomplete.com> wrote:
> I'd like to offer to help with benchmarking on Mac x86_64, if it would be
> useful to add another architecture to the mix.  I just need a little hand-
> holding to get starting.

You can find some information about the Builder infrastructure here,
which currently controls the nightly build bots:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Builder - I imagine any
solution will likely tie in with it (as Johan mentioned.)

If you want to run nofib manually for fun to test results locally,
there's this page:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/RunningNoFib

--
Regards,