Why are arrays retainers?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:41:08 CET 2012

On 24/10/2012 08:25, Akio Takano wrote:

> Recently I was surprised to see that GHC's retainer profiler treated
> boxed arrays as retainer objects. Why are they considered retainers?

I think the intention is to treat all "mutable" objects as retainers,
where thunks are a kind of mutable object.  From the code it looks like
both MutableArray# and Array# are treated as retainers though, which is
probably a mistake.  I'll fix it so that Array# is not a retainer, and
update the docs to mention that mutable objects are retainers.