ghc 7.6.1 panic, http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5252 not dead yet

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:13:00 CEST 2012

So I have something that looks similar to
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5252, namely, given these
two modules:

% cat Midi.hs
{-# OPTIONS_GHC -funbox-strict-fields #-}
module Midi (
    WriteMessage(..)
    , WriteDevice
    -- TODO due ghc bug: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5252
    -- , WriteDevice(WriteDevice)
) where
import qualified Data.ByteString as ByteString

data WriteMessage = WriteMessage !WriteDevice
newtype WriteDevice = WriteDevice ByteString.ByteString

% cat CoreMidi.hs
module CoreMidi where
import qualified Midi

write_message :: Midi.WriteMessage -> IO Bool
write_message (Midi.WriteMessage _) = return True

% ghc -c Midi.hs
% ghc -c CoreMidi.hs
ghc: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
  (GHC version 7.6.1 for x86_64-apple-darwin):
	reboxProduct: not a product main:Midi.WriteDevice{tc r2M}

Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug

Oddly, if I put {-# UNPACK #-} on the strict WriteDevice and remove
-funbox-strict-fields, I don't get a crash anymore.  Also, it has to
be ByteString inside, I guess it has to do with the optimization
ByteString applies.

Shall I append to the old ticket, or create a new one?