memory fragmentation with ghc-7.6.1

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 17:19:44 CEST 2012

On 21/09/2012 04:07, John Lato wrote:
> Yes, that's my current understanding.  I see this with ByteString and
> Data.Vector.Storable, but not
> Data.Vector/Data.Vector.Unboxed/Data.Text.  As ByteStrings are pretty
> widely used for IO, I expected that somebody else would have
> experienced this too.
>
> I would expect some memory fragmentation with pinned memory, but the
> change from ghc-7.4 to ghc-7.6 is rather extreme (no fragmentation to
> several GB).

This was a side-effect of the improvements we made to the allocation of
pinned objects, which ironically was made to avoid fragmentation of a
different kind.  What is happening is that the memory for the pinned
objects is now taken from the nursery, and so the nursery has to be
replenished after GC.  When we allocate memory for the nursery we like
to allocate it in big contiguous chunks, because that works better with
automatic prefecthing, but the memory is horribly fragmented due to all
the pinned objects, so the large allocation has to be satisfied from the OS.

The fix is not to allocate large chunks for the nursery unless there are
no small chunks to use up, so I've implemented that.

Happily I also found two other bugs while looking for this one, one of
which was a performance bug which caused this benchmark to run 10x
slower than it should have been!  The other bug was a recent regression
causing it to misreport the amount of allocated memory.

Thanks for the report.