memory ordering

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 19:01:58 UTC 2013

Hi Edward,

Thanks very much for this reply, it answers a lot of questions I'd had.
 I'd hoped that ordering would be preserved through C--, but c'est la vie.
 Optimizing compilers are ever the bane of concurrent algorithms!

stg/SMP.h does define a loadLoadBarrier, which is exposed in Ryan Newton's
atomic-primops package.  From the docs, I think that's a general read
barrier, and should do what I want.  Assuming it works properly, of course.
 If I'm lucky it might even be optimized out.

Thanks,
John