Newtype wrappers

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Mon Jan 14 19:30:09 CET 2013

Somebody claiming to be Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>I'd like to propose a way to "promote" newtypes over their enclosing type.
>Here's the writeup
>          http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/NewtypeWrappers

The high-level idea, I love.  I always wondered about `map MkAge blah`.

>Any comments?  Below is the problem statement, taken from the above page.

-1 to the unsoundness, but as you say, this is an existing problem.

Also, instead of:

	newtype wrap somefun :: [Int] -> [Age]
	foo = somefun [12,14]

Maybe:

	foo = ([12, 14] :: newtype wrap [Age])

I don't know how feasible this syntax is, but I like it a lot better, and it
makes it more clear (to me) that this is purely type-level syntax.

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted