Newtype wrappers

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 03:15:30 CET 2013

Hello,

The general functionality for this seems useful, but we should be careful
exactly what types we allow in the 'newtype wrap/unwrap' declarations.  For
example, would we allow something like this:

newtype wrap cvt :: f a -> f (Dual a)

If we just worry about what's in scope, then it should be accepted, however
this function could still be used to break the invariant on `Set` because
it is polymorphic.

In general, I was never comfortable with GHC's choice to add an axiom
equating a newtype and its representation type, because it looks unsound to
me (without any type-functions or newtype deriving).
For example, consider:

newtype T a = MkT Int

Now, if this generates an axiom asserting that `froall a. T a ~ Int`, then
we can derive a contradiction:

T Int ~ Int ~ T Char, and hence `Int ~ Char`.

It looks like what we need is a different concept: one that talks about the
equality of the representations of types, rather then equality of the types
themselves.

-Iavor