Error building ghc on raspberry pi.

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Tue Jan 15 21:16:59 CET 2013

On 01/15/13 08:56 PM, Thijs Alkemade wrote:

> Op 15 jan. 2013, om 18:16 heeft Karel Gardas<karel.gardas at centrum.cz>  het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Well, if you make some board available in DMZ I'm certainly interested to run at least configure on it from GHC HEAD to see what we need to hack in order to add support for RPi into GHC HEAD.
>>
>> Unfortunately GHC HEAD is now in a wrong state w.r.t. LLVM based build, but Austin is working on this. I think I can hack support for RPi in the meantime for testing later on fixed GHC HEAD LLVM build...
>>
>> Karel
>
> This might be helpful, it's a guide to emulate a raspberry pi using qemu, which I was using to (try to) build GHC:
>
> http://xecdesign.com/qemu-emulating-raspberry-pi-the-easy-way/
>
> While I haven't done any real measurements, it seemed somewhat faster too on my machine.

Indeed, that may be the way. The other may be to debootstrap rasbian
into ubuntu chroot on ARMv7 machine for example. I'm curious what
configure will report then, i.e. if this will look really like ARMv6 or
ARMv7 at the end... Also 1 GHz OMAP4 is still faster in executing ARm
code than Qemu/ARM running on my Intel box... :-)

Karel