Overloaded record fields

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 28 09:27:36 CEST 2013

| Folks, I'm keenly aware that GSoC has a limited timespan; and that there
| has already been much heat generated on the records debate.

I am also keenly aware of this.  I think the plan Ant outlines below makes sense; I'll work on it with Adam.

I have, however, realised why I liked the dot idea.  Consider

	f r b = r.foo && b

With dot-notation baked in (non-orthogonally), f would get the type

	f :: (r { foo::Bool }) => r -> Bool -> Bool

With the orthogonal proposal, f is equivalent to
	f r b = foo r && b

Now it depends.

* If there is at least one record in scope with a field "foo"
  and no other foo's, then you get the above type

* If there are no records in scope with field "foo"
  and no other foo's, the program is rejected

* If there are no records in scope with field "foo"
  but there is a function "foo", then the usual thing happens.

This raises the funny possibility that you might have to define a local type
	data Unused = U { foo :: Int }
simply so that there *is* at least on "foo" field in scope.

I wanted to jot this point down, but I think it's a lesser evil than falling into the dot-notation swamp.  After all, it must be vanishingly rare to write a function manipulating "foo" fields when there are no such records around. It's just a point to note (NB Adam: design document).

Simon