Foreign.StablePtr: nullPtr & double-free questions.

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 9 06:23:16 CET 2013

Excerpts from Remi Turk's message of Fri Mar 08 18:28:56 -0800 2013:
> Good night everyone,
>
> I have two questions with regards to some details of the
> Foreign.StablePtr module. [1]
>
> 1) The documentation suggests, but does not explicitly state, that
>   castStablePtrToPtr `liftM` newStablePtr x
> will never yield a nullPtr. Is this guaranteed to be the case or not?
> It would conveniently allow me to store a Maybe "for free", using
> nullPtr for Nothing, but I am hesitant about relying on something that
> isn't actually guaranteed by the documentation.

No, you cannot assume that.  In fact, stable pointer zero is
base_GHCziTopHandler_runIO_info:

    ezyang at javelin:~/Dev/haskell$ cat sptr.hs
    import Foreign.StablePtr
    import Foreign.Ptr

    main = do
        let x = castPtrToStablePtr nullPtr
        freeStablePtr x
    ezyang at javelin:~/Dev/haskell$ ~/Dev/ghc-build-tick/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2 --make sptr.hs -debug
    [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( sptr.hs, sptr.o )
    Linking sptr ...
    ezyang at javelin:~/Dev/haskell$ gdb ./sptr
    GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5-ubuntu
    and "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
    Reading symbols from /srv/code/haskell/sptr...done.
    (gdb) b freeStablePtrUnsafe
    Breakpoint 1 at 0x73f8a7: file rts/Stable.c, line 263.
    (gdb) r
    Starting program: /srv/code/haskell/sptr
    Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

    Breakpoint 1, freeStablePtrUnsafe (sp=0x0) at rts/Stable.c:263
    263	    ASSERT((StgWord)sp < SPT_size);
    (gdb) list
    258	}
    259
    260	void
    261	freeStablePtrUnsafe(StgStablePtr sp)
    262	{
    263	    ASSERT((StgWord)sp < SPT_size);
    264	    freeSpEntry(&stable_ptr_table[(StgWord)sp]);
    265	}
    266
    267	void
    (gdb) p stable_ptr_table[(StgWord)sp]
    $1 = {addr = 0x9d38e0}
    (gdb) p *(StgClosure*)stable_ptr_table[(StgWord)sp]
    $2 = {header = {info = 0x4e89c8 <base_GHCziTopHandler_runIO_info>}, payload = 0x9d38e8}

Regardless, you don't want to do that anyway, because stable pointers
have a bit of overhead.

> 2) If I read the documentation correctly, when using StablePtr it is
> actually quite difficult to avoid undefined behaviour, at least in
> GHC(i). In particular, a double-free on a StablePtr yields undefined
> behaviour. However, when called twice on the same value, newStablePtr
> yields the same StablePtr in GHC(i).
> E.g.:
>
> module Main where
>
> import Foreign
>
> foo x y = do
>     p1 <- newStablePtr x
>     p2 <- newStablePtr y
>     print $ castStablePtrToPtr p1 == castStablePtrToPtr p2
>     freeStablePtr p1
>     freeStablePtr p2 -- potential double free!
>
> main = let x = "Hello, world!" in foo x x -- undefined behaviour!
>
> prints "True" under GHC(i), "False" from Hugs. Considering that foo
> and main might be in different packages written by different authors,
> this makes correct use rather complicated. Is this behaviour (and the
> consequential undefinedness) intentional?

I think this bug was inadvertently fixed in the latest version of GHC;
see:

    commit 7e7a4e4d7e9e84b2c57d3d55e372e738b5f8dbf5
    Author: Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>
    Date:   Thu Feb 14 08:46:55 2013 +0000

        Separate StablePtr and StableName tables (#7674)

        To improve performance of StablePtr.

Cheers,
Edward