Does GHC 7.8 make targeting bare metal ARM any easier?

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Wed Mar 20 08:05:04 CET 2013

Hello Jeremy,

I'd also like to see GHC compiling for ARM bare metal. Honestly speaking
I've avoided Raspberry Pi, but rather settled on ARMv7. Side note:
BeagleBone is excellent for this as you get all the TI supported tools
together with JTAG debugging just for free from TI (including ARM
compilers if you care about this) and also you get full documentation
for its Sitara 335x SoC.

Anyway, back to the GHC topic. I find it too invasive to go straight
from POSIX/libc dependency to nothing on bare-metal. Instead of this
while analyzing the situation for myself I've rather settled on POSIX
RTOS which is much less weight that general purpose Linux distro and yet
it provides a lot of API which makes GHC RTS porting work much easier.

So as my hobby time permits I'm working on GHC port to RTEMS[1] which is
a single-process, multi-threaded RTOS with POSIX API supported. On its
devel mailing list you may find that Raspberry Pi BSP was already
submitted for inclusion. Generally speaking, I also hope that since this
work is much less invasive on GHC, it has higher chance of a merge into
GHC HEAD once ready...

Cheers,
Karel
[1]: http://www.rtems.org/