porting to uClibc-based 686 Linux

Dubiousjim lists+haskell-glasgow at jimpryor.net
Tue May 21 08:02:55 CEST 2013

Just to follow-up on my earlier emails about trying to port GHC to a
uClibc-based Linux, I finally did get this working, on both x86 and
x86_64.

There were a bunch of small stumbling blocks and one big one that I
finally traced to the fact that the native gcc on my target system had
the Gentoo hardening patches, and one needed to supply a "-nopie" option
to selectively disable these. (This was counter-intuitive because the
error messages made it seem that what was wanted was to *enable* PIE
compiling, not to disable it.) I finally identified this issue when
reading http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedfaq.xml.

Anyway, I've written up what it took to port GHC to our system on our
distro's wiki:

http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Porting_GHC_to_Alpine

Perhaps that might help others attempting similar feats, or might help
the ghc devs working on the build system to make this less painful in
the future.
dubiousjim at gmail.com