7.8 Release Update

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Tue Sep 10 00:37:10 CEST 2013

Hi,

> Kazu (or someone else), can you please file a ticket on the Cabal bug
> tracker [1] if you think that this a Cabal bug?

I'm not completely sure yet.

GHCi 7.8 uses dynamic linking. This is true.

So, what is a consensus for GHC 7.8 and cabal-install 1.18? Are they
supposed to use dynamic linking? Or, static linking?

If dynamic linking is used, GHC should provide dynamic libraries for
profiling.

If static linking is used, cabal-install should stop using dynamic
libraries for profiling.

And of course, I can make a ticket when I'm convinced.

P.S.

Since "doctest" uses GHCi internally, I might misunderstand GHC 7.8
uses dynamic linking. Anyway, I don't understand what is right yet.

--Kazu