RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Sat May 3 23:58:02 UTC 2014

So I want to install GHC + cabal on a new system, building cabal
packages with profiling and documentation. Here's what I have to do:

1. Download, unpack and install GHC.

2. Download and unpack cabal-install, and run bootstrap.sh. As part of
the bootstrap, it will download and build a bunch of packages.

3. Delete the downloaded packages ("rm -rf ~/.ghc/*") because they were
built without profiling or documentation.

4. Call "cabal update" to get a default .cabal/config file.

5. Edit .cabal/config to switch on library-profiling,
executable-profiling, and documentation.

6. Build my stuff.

This would be much simplified if binary versions of cabal-install were
available. (It would be even simpler if they were just included in the
GHC builds -- I could eliminate 2 & 3.)

-- Ashley Yakeley