Future of DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Sat May 24 19:59:15 UTC 2014

On May 24, 2014 11:48 AM, "Simon Marlow" <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/05/2014 13:51, harry wrote:
>>
>> harry wrote
>>>
>>> I need to build GHC 7.8 so that Template Haskell will work without
shared
>>> libraries (due to a shortage of space).
>>>
>>> I understand that this can be done by turning off DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS
and
>>> associated build options. Is this possibility going to be kept going
>>> forward, or will it be deprecated once dynamic GHC is fully supported on
>>> all platforms?
>>

>> PS This is for Linux x64.
>

> We may yet go back and turn DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS off by default, it has
yet to be decided.  The worst situation would be to have to support both,
so I imagine once we've decided one way or the other we'll deprecated the
other method.

> Is it just shortage of space, or is there anything else that pushes you
towards DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=NO?  Isn't disk space cheap?

> Cheers,
> Simon

Speaking for myself, but I've noticed compilation times can be much shorter
with DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=NO.  On one project using dynamic ghc added about
18 minutes to the build time (45 minutes vs 27). That's significant enough
that we're leaning towards static ghc for now.