[GUI] Another RFC on setting and getting.

David Sankel camio@yahoo.com
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net> wrote:
> David Sankel wrote:
> BTW, I'm curious as to what you were using 8 years
> ago; neither GTK
> nor Qt were around then.

Offtopic, but 8 years ago UNIX wasn't widely
accessible.  So I was stuck with either text based
applications or winapi for the most part.

> > that this be an CGA implementation specific
> extension.
> >
> > myButton <- newButton [ title := "Okay", i_name :=
> > "RightButton" ]
>
> This would mean that a missing name would be a
> run-time error, when it
> should be caught at compile time.

How about

  myButton <- i_newButton "RightButton" [ title :=
"Okay" ]

in accordance with my previous statements.

> 1. Records (with named fields) would be preferable
> to tuples; Some
> callbacks get passed a significant amount of data.

Can you give an example where a standard widget would
pass a significant amount of data?

> 2. This approach requires a different function for
> each type of
> callback. I would prefer a single polymorphic
> addCallback function.

This is again making runtime errors into what could
have been compile time errors.  I think this is reason
enough not to do it this way.

Anyway, we can still use a single polymorphic
addCallback function.

instance HasAddCallback (Int,Int,Float) -- ...

Cheers,

David J. Sankel