[GUI] Dynamic sizing.

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 14:47:11 +0200

On Samstag, Apr 26, 2003, at 09:28 Europe/Vienna, David Sankel wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
>   It seems that right now the easiest and best way to
> deal with dynamic sizing of widgets is as follows:
>
> -- CGA/CommonAttributes.hs
> class HasSize w where
>   size :: Attr w SizeType
>
> data SizeType = Fixed (Int,Int) | Standard

I'd rather say

data SizeComponent = Fixed Int | Standard
type SizeType = (SizeComponent, SizeComponent)
(or data SizeType = Size SizeComponent SizeComponent)

I'd perhaps want to use a vertical scrollbar that has standard width
and a user-specified height.

On the other hand, might we not want to query the "standard" size, so
that we can perhaps use it to align with another widget?

Question to all: Who is not familiar either with Java's GridBagLayout
or with Tcl's "grid" geometry manager?  (BTW: Is XmRowColumn the same
thing or something different?)
That's the best way of managing dynamic layouts that I know. Any
reasons for not using something like that?

Cheers,

Wolfgang