Resource Files (Was: Re: [GUI] More points for the technical discussion)

Seth Kurtzberg seth@cql.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:11:55 -0700

Wolfgang,

There is a standard format used with X for application specific configuration.
However, X is agnostic about whether this information is in one file, a
separate file for each app, or some combination.  .Xdefaults in the home
directory is a typical place.  You would not want to bundle the configuration
information into the same file as the program itself in an X environment.

I don't know if I would agree that customization and theming are the primary
reason that resource-type files are used in X.  It is true that such
information can be included in these files, but other types of info are also
included there.  It is more of a general mechanism to fetch something that
can be specified without rebuilding the application.  So it is relevant here,
even though it also has other uses in X.