[GUI] Fruit Source

Antony Courtney antony@apocalypse.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:54:53 -0500

Thomas L. Bevan wrote:

> Does anyone know if the FRUIT source code is freely available somewhere?

Short answer:  Yes, there is some code available from:

   http://www.haskell.org/fruit

However, I wish to stress that Fruit is a (very) rudimentary research
prototype, NOT a production GUI toolkit.

I'm not sure why you are interested in Fruit source code, but since
there has been a lot of discussion about standard GUI toolkits lately, I
thought I would throw in my opinion as the developer of one of the more
research-oriented GUI libraries:

Much as I would love to someday see a "genuinely functional" programming
model serve as the basis for a production GUI toolkit someday, I agree
with the sentiments expressed by Simon and Manuel:  there are still far
too many open research questions about both the API design and
implementation efficiency to use such a model as the basis for a
standard, portable production GUI toolkit library for Haskell for use in
the near term.  If you want to produce something standard, portable,
ubiquitous and well supported, worse is definitely better.

	-antony

--
Antony Courtney
Grad. Student, Dept. of Computer Science, Yale University