[GUI] Native Look and Feel

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:56:37 +0100

Adrian Hey <ahey@iee.org> wrote:

> Native "Look and Feel"
> ----------------------
> Others will disagree, personally I don't care much about this.
> Having a "quality look and feel" is important I think, but
> whether or not it looks like every other App on a particular
> platform seems unimportant to me.

That's what (almost) all X11 users and most Windows users think. They
may be right, but on the Mac, the User Interface Laws are considered
holy...
If I want to write a GUI program for my Mac, native look-and-feel is
essentially a precondition. If a toolkit doesn't support a native Mac
look and feel, it simply solves the wrong problem for me.

Duplicating the Mac look and feel exactly has never worked with
cross-platform toolkits. Yes, I maintain that Java Swing is still a
failure for Mac OS, although it looks and feels much better than it
used to. I happily use Java-based programs on Linux or on Windows, but
when I have to use them on the Mac, they just feel out-of-place (even
if they already look _almost_ right). It's just no joy using them.

Sorry for being negative, I just had to provide a MacOS-centric point
of view here.

Cheers,

Wolfgang