[GUI] Portable GUI libraries

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:24:38 -0000

Just thought I'd weigh in with MHO.  It seems to me that it comes down
to picking two of the following:

   1. Portable GUI library
   2. Rich widget set
   3. Native look and feel

Sometimes you can make a pretty good stab at the third, but it's not
possible to do a good job on all three simultaneously.  It's just a
question of what you want to compromise.

We have examples of each combination:

   1 & 2:  Gtk, Qt, wxWindows, Tcl/Tk
   1 & 3:  ObjectIO, ?
   2 & 3:  MFC, Gtk & Qt (On X11 only)

Personally I'd use the 2&3 libraries, and rewrite my GUI for each
platform.  For building quick portable prototypes, I'd appreciate a
library that falls into the 1&3 category too, but I won't expect it to
be as full-featured or native-looking as a 2&3 library.

Cheers,
	Simon