[GUI] Re: Gtk and Object I/O

Adrian Hey ahey@iee.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:22:38 +0000

On Friday 24 January 2003 13:11, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Peter Aachten goes further.  Based on the Clean group's experience, he
> thinks we can not only define a satisfactory (A), but also define a
> lower-level interface (expressed in the C language) that
> 	suffices to support (A)
> 	and yet contains no target specific code

I don't really understand this, so a couple of questions if I may..

1- What does this low level code do that requires it to be written in C?
I can't think of any particular reason for this other than speed, and I
can't think of anywhere a gui really needs speed other than for rendering.
(But that can't be so because, as everybody keeps telling me, writing our
own portable rendering code is a really bad idea :-)

2- If I'm not missing something, there must be some target specific code
somewhere in any port of a portable library. Is this, dare I suggest, in
an even lower level of primitives?

Thanks
--
Adrian Hey