[GUI] MacOS Menu Bars (was: Re: Portable GUI levels)

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:41:36 +0100

seth@cql.com wrote:

> Not just in linux, any "more than one menubar" app anywhere, on any
> O/S?

I can't think of any either, but then I use MacOS more than Linux or
Windows.
Does that mean that it would be OK for a toolkit to support just one
menubar per application on non-MacOS platforms?
All allegedly cross-platform toolkits I know treat a menubar as a
property of a window or even as an ordinary widget that you can place
inside a window, which causes several problems for the Mac OS
implementations of those toolkits.
A related problem with Mac OS is that when you close the last window of
an application, the application doesn't terminate, it's menu bar is
still there. You can still open a new document from the menu. When you
click on the icon of an open application that doesn't have any windows,
a new empty document window should be created. I know of no
cross-platform toolkit that supports this behaviour.

Cheers,

Wolfgang