Portable GUI levels (was: Re: [GUI] Re: Gtk and Object I/O)

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:33:20 +0000

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:21:59AM +0100, Wolfgang Thaller wrote:
> I maintain that a good cross-platform toolkit designed for Windows,
> X11 and Mac OS should provide some abstraction to bridge the
> differences in the behaviour of the different platforms.
> If I remember correlctly, Tk, Java and Qt were all first designed for
> X11 and then ported to Windows and Mac OS. Hence they had to
> use the "let's use the front window's menu bar" hack for Mac OS.

Yes, I think we can be pragmatic about some issues. Going for exactly one
menu bar is a reasonable assumption for all platforms. You can force a lot
into a Gtk application because there is no real style guide.

An application with nearly several menu bars is Gimp: The menu bar for
each drawing Window is hidden in a context menu. I think Gimp is like
WinAmp (or Microsoft Media Player): It violates any common sense and
style guide, but it's so widespread that you have to live with it. Let's
be pragmatic and give programmers reasonable freedom: exactly one menu
bar.

Axel.