[GUI] HToolkit 1.0 released

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang@jeltsch.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:17:32 +0200

On Tuesday, 2003-07-22, 20:42, CEST, Krasimir Angelov wrote:
> [...]

> The HToolkit is a package primary intended for development and designing of
> platform independent graphical user interface. The package gives you an
> abstract API for many platforms while for each platform are used only
> libraries which are native for the platform. This release supports only
> Windows and Linux platforms, but the chosen model allows support for other
> platforms. Under Windows the package use only native Win32 API and under
> Linux are used GTK/GNOME libraries. The difference between HToolkit and most
> of other libraries is that the latter uses only controls and dialog elements
> which are native under target plaform. The advantage of this is that the
> application looks like more native.

Hello Krasimir,

good work! I like the direction you go with your library.

> [...]

> The current release gives only interface to Haskell. There is plan to build
> GUI libraries based on HToolkit core for C#, SmallTalk and Python.

Oh, this is exactly what I proposed with Ada in mind: a platform independent C
interface to which one can create bindings from different programming
languages.

By the way, are you still using functions with an arbitrary number of
arguments? (I mean those declared with the ellipsis, like printf.) This would
be a problem when creating Ada bindings. But meanwhile I'm not so interested
in Ada bindings anymore, but rather am looking for a good Haskell GUI library
;-).

> [...]

> Krasimir Angelov

Wolfgang Jeltsch