[GUI] Haskell GUI examples

Daan Leijen daanleijen@xs4all.nl
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:48:39 +0100

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:23:49 +0100, George Russell <ger@tzi.de> wrote:

> Forgive me for boasting but it seems clearer, simpler and shorter than any other of the examples
> codings on John Meacham's website.

That is just because you are used to it ;-)

> The closest competitor seems to be GIO.

I am flattered but I still view GIO as an *experiment* to get a feel
of how a medium-level GUI API should look like, so it is not nearly
a competitor to a real library.

Regards,
  Daan.

btw. Maybe you should make the objects the last argument
of instance functions. That way, you can use an object oriented
style of programming (if you like that):

infixr 0 #    -- matches nicely with ($)

(#) :: self -> (self -> a) -> a
self # f  = f self

main = do mainWin <-initHTk [text "Hello World"]
      label   <-mainWin # newLabel  [text "Hello World"]
      button  <-mainWin # newButton [text "Bye"]  	...