[GUI] GIO and HTk

George Russell ger@tzi.de
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 12:29:04 +0100

Daan wrote (snipped)
> I am flattered but I still view GIO as an *experiment* to get a feel
> of how a medium-level GUI API should look like, so it is not nearly
> a competitor to a real library.
Well OK.  In that case I think HTk *does* qualify as a real library.  It has been around for
several years, is pretty stable, and can be used to write fairly complex GUI interfaces.   Its
web-page, by the way, is
    http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/htk

However it is interesting that the look-and-feel of HTk and GUI are similar.  This suggests
that the general ideas of both are right.

I'm not going to argue the details of syntax such as whether # should be in there or not.
The main difference is that HTk uses events while GIO uses callbacks.  In the HTk example I
gave, buttonClicked is an event.