[GUI] Mission Statement

Glynn Clements glynn.clements@virgin.net
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:48:19 +0000

Axel Simon wrote:

> > * "This backend [wxWindows] might not give access to all functions available
> >  on a platform"
> > In contrast, wxWindows normally gives *more* functionality than is natively
> > available by implementing that functionality on top the native interface.
> > Examples are advanced tree and list controls, or MDI frames. Use, uhh, X11
> > as your example here :-)
>
>  Providing widgets beyond those of the native platform is a violation of
> look-and-feel by definition.

Not necessarily.

The standard Xt-based widget sets (Athena, Motif) are both fairly
basic, so it's common for non-trivial applications to create
additional widget classes as necessary.

When creating additional widgets, I think that the key is to "go with
the grain" of the native widgets. I.e. base the new widget class on an
existing one (e.g. Motif has XmPrimitive and XmManager widget classes,
which exist solely as a base for more specific classes), and honour
any established conventions.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>