[GUI] Future of Haskell: GUI development

Nick Name nick.name at inwind.it
Sun Sep 14 18:22:00 EDT 2003

Alle 17:05, domenica 14 settembre 2003, Manuel M T Chakravarty ha
scritto:
> What makes you think that the few people in the Haskell
> community who are interested in building GUI infrastructure
> can do a better job at a cross-platform API than the masses
> of GUI developers for whom this is their daily bread?

I agree with you on this point, that we were wrong designing everything
from scratch, but instead:

> I think we are better off by piggy-backing on a major
> cross-platform effort driven by a large developer community
> than by wasting our time on trying to solve problems that
> the experts couldn't crack so far.

What about just taking wxwin, feature by feature, and give it a more
haskell-like view? (note that this has to be done anyway, and that Daan
is doing just that alone). This means

- supporting wxhaskell in primis

- work for some time, wich can be short or long depending on how much
free time people have

- reuse the design decisions of wxwin in the large, but be able to make
minor changes like adjusting the menu layout of macosx

- be able to make a quick binding to other libraries like qt or dialog
directly in haskell, if there ever is a qt or dialog binding for
haskell of course.

Vincenzo