[GUI] Future of Haskell: GUI development

Daan Leijen daanleijen at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 14 22:19:32 EDT 2003

Hi All,

> What about just taking wxwin, feature by feature, and give it a more
> haskell-like view? (note that this has to be done anyway, and that
Daan
> is doing just that alone). This means

I would like to clarify this point: At the moment, there is a "WXCore"
layer that implements the core interfaces to wxWindows together with
some convenience functions. The "WX" layer builds a more abstract
framework,
using attributes and type classes, to make *wxWindows* programming more
convenient.

So, it is true that the WX library gives a haskell-like view to
wxWindows
but it doesn't try to be a CGA -- it totally relies on wxWindows on the
moment
to do the "right thing" on different platforms.

However, in the upcoming 0.2 release, I have added the ability to
inspect variables like the current platform, so that we can start adding
more CGA like
abstractions -- for example, getting the automatic button layout
proposed by
Wolfgang Thaller. I am not sure yet if these functions should be in WX
or in
some other library (but I like evolutionary approaches so we'll see what
happens :-)

All the best,
 Daan.