[GUI] RE: Announce: wxHaskell 0.2

Daan Leijen daanleijen at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 16 23:57:00 EDT 2003

Hi Vincenco

> > to understand error messages, and c) a much more complex model. (See
> > Andre Pang's
> > master thesis for a ingenious way to model full inheritance)
>
> Can you provide a link? I can't find it. Does he still use phantom
> types? Also, I am sure I have read something posted by you wich
> explained how to model single inheritance with phantom types, can you
> provide me some reference?

Andre Pang is a master student of Manuel Chakravarty. He made a binding
to Cocoa/Objective C using template Haskell. I have just talked with
him,
maybe you can find his thesis using the above information.
(or maybe one of them reacts to this email :-)

I have described the inheritance trick in, hmm, I think in
"calling hell from heaven and heaven from hell"
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~daan/pubs.html

I am currently working on functional pearl though that describes
everything you can do with phantom types (like relational expressions)
from scratch.

> Do you model multiple inheritance someway?

No :-)  It is possible though but makes things more complex.

> Does wxwin use multiple inheritance?

Just two (non-essential) classes use this, so I could get
away with just modeling single inheritance.

Cheers,
 Daan.