[Hackathon] Hac phi roundup

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:19:02 EDT 2009

Brent,

 Thank you (and Daniel et al) for hosting the hackathon!

Shae and I had an amazing time.

We mostly worked on Kata (the small, mostly untyped, lazy functional
programming language of mine that you heard way too much about over the
weekend) and Shae did some work on parsing FLAC files on the side. As you
may have noticed, we conned Alec Heller into helping out near the end and
continued coding until well after the hackathon ended. I could have done a
better job preparing for the hackathon by having prepped the project to be
effectively worked on by multiple people -- but that would have required me
to know that we were going to be hacking on Kata!

There should be a public release sometime in the relatively near future once
the backend is operational. I may also try to split out the Haskell-like
layout parser combinators into their own library.

 I also wound up putting together a nice scrap your boilerplate-style error
reporting/collapsing monoid for use with my monoids library with Ravi and
generally spent a lot of time running around talking with people.

It was a blast.

-Edward Kmett