[Hackathon] hackathon spin-off in berlin?

Matthias Fischmann fis at etc-network.de
Fri Jun 17 11:57:13 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:18:28PM -0400, wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wrote:
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:18:28 -0400
> From: wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
> To: hackathon at haskell.org
> Subject: Re: [Hackathon] hackathon spin-off in berlin?
>
> On Thu Jun 16 17:04:18 CEST 2011 Matthias Fischmann wrote:
>
> >since i won't be able to make it to philly, but really wanted to
> >attend, i thought maybe it would be fun to spread this event over two
> >time zones?  i have office space (decent internet, projector, etc.) in
> >the heart of berlin for about five people; if more are interested, we
> >could keep looking for something bigger.
> >
> >but before i start advertising, i would like to ask you organisers and
> >attendees: how do you feel about the idea?  would you like to link up
> >with us if i find people to attend in berlin, or would you prefer me
> >to stay out of your way?
>
> Sounds like fun to us! What will we need to do on our end? How will
> you handle the 6-hour time difference?

great :).

i guess the 6-hour time difference could be handled by adjusting the
berlin location to eastern standard?  if we set talks in your
afternoon / our morning or a little alter, i don't see any problem.

what needs to be done?

 1. it would be nice to set up a video conference link that people can
    walk into on both sides and that will broadcast the talks.  i
    guess that would be one laptop with decent audio and video
    dedicated to skype on each side.  we should probably test this a
    few days ahead of the event.  i'll take care of the hardware on
    our end.

 2. chatroom: i think a text-based channel is also essential.  should
    we use jabber?  if nobody else is volunteering, i'll take care of
    that, too.

you don't really have to anything for 2.; would you be willing to take
care of your end of 1.?

m.