Will Haskell be commercialized in the future?

Michal Gajda mg169780@students.mimuw.edu.pl
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:53:05 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Doug Ransom wrote:

> [stuff deleted]
> Well, I would prefer to master Haskell and use that as my general purpose
> language.  Fat chance since the object models available in the microsoft
> common language runtime are designed for impertive programming.

I often use Haskell in imperative style(for example writting a toy
interpreter for subset of Tcl language). I noticed that(at
least for student projects) it's more convenient than, say C, in some
respects. I can often abstract out of the irrelevant details, thanks to
HOF and careful use of monads/monad transformers. And the need to
explicitly name imperative state or behaviour may clean up the code and
improve understanding of the problem.

Am I the only one?

	Greetings
		Michal Gajda
		korek@charybda.icm.edu.pl

PS I think that inefficiency of lazy evaluation may be the more important
flaw of Haskell. I know that memory profiler may be used, but it's not so
easy to understand, what it tells. At least for someone else than
compiler-writer or at least hardcore computer-scientist.