Visual Haskell

Jason J. Libsch jlibsch@mail.wesleyan.edu
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:39:20 -0400 (EDT)

The reason that this paper so peaked my interest is that i have been
working on a system that is tremendously similar to the one described in
this paper- it's as if Dr. Reekie Van Eck phreaked my head or notebooks
(unfortunatly, my designs have not progressed past pen and paper.) from
the other side of the world.  My take on the project is that such a
language would be the ideal langauge for begining programmers.

1) As Toby stated, the Strong Typeing of Haskell allows for a 'syntaxless'
development environment.  Only inputs and outputs that type correctly can
connect.  This means that all code that can be written will compile!

2) Easy to navigate through code.  If a fn is foreign to the user, she
need only click on it to bring up its the underlying code.

3) It seems to me that such an environment would strongly encourage
collaboration.  Having two mouse pointers dragging compenents around is
much less foreign of an asthetic than text just randomly poping up here
and there, or some such text based equivalent.  The analogy i have been
working with is: two mouse pointers on the same screen can work together
like two hands- one can hold a wrench on the bolt while the other turns
the screw, while two clarets in action is like listening to two people
talk at once.

4) A visual environment allows for the seemless integration of advanced
code development tools as CVS (isn't CVS just a fancy C^z, C^ [Shift] z
?) Help or Code Documentation, etc.

5) Ability to truly design from the top down- all the way from the Gui.
An integrated GUI construction tool would be right at home in a visual
language.

6) Much more elaborate and illuminating comment system.  Allowing for
dashed outlines and arrows pointing at code to be integrated into a
comment, to be shown only on the comment's mouse over event.  Can drag
components (fn block) into comment, which can be clicked on to bring up
that comment in hyper text fassion, etc.

Modeling the visual language after a function langauge makes tons of
sence.  Once you take this step, the visual systax follows nicely, and, i
think, looks and feels very clean.

My appologies for such the gushing tennor of this letter.  I know much of
the praise i sing for a Visual Haskell is generic visual programming
propoganda, and that visual langauges for software development haven't
taken off.  I think that the coupeling of a high level, robust,
funcitonal language with the visual paradime solves many visual
langauge problems, and, furthermore, presents new benfits all together.

I am eager to hear the opinions of this list.

my best,

 /jason libsch