"Lambda Dance", Haskell polemic,...

Wojciech Moczydlowski khaliff@astercity.net
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:59:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

> How much memory is gcc eating for a 200KB program?  If you

I've just recompiled my compiler and tried it on 200K program full of
"writeDec(5)" instructions. What really amazed me was that the compiler
has eaten in fact less memory than gcc, which has been ran on a similar C
program, full of printfs.
But things changed dramatically, when I used programs full of "i = 5"
statementes. gcc has eaten only 5M memory while my compiler quickly acquired
90M and still wanted more.
I guess I'll put out my complaint about memory usage, until I try to locate
the memory leak.

> were to a write a toy C compiler in C++ or Java, do you
> think, it would eat significantly less memory without
> seriously tuning of the memory management?
>
> Manuel

In C++? Yes. Because I have full control of the allocated memory.

Wojciech Moczydlowski, Jr