A sample revised prelude for numeric classes

David Barton dlb@wash.averstar.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:53:42 -0500

   This is pretty rare, and it's also fairly tough to represent points in
   spaces of fractional dimension. I'll bet the sorts of complications
   necessary to do so would immediately exclude it from consideration in
   the design of a standard library, but nevertheless would be interesting
   to hear about. Can you comment further on this?

Even without fractals, there are cases where weird dimensions come up
(I ran across this in my old MHDL (microwave) days).  Square root
volts is the example that was constantly thrown in my face.  It
doesn't really mess up the model that much; you just have to use
rational dimensions rather than integer dimensions.  Everything else
works out.  I have *not* come across a case where real dimensions are
necessary, so equality still works.

					Dave Barton <*>
					dlb@averstar.com )0(
					http://www.averstar.com/~dlb