Typing units correctly

Andrew Kennedy akenn@microsoft.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:18:14 -0800

First, I think there's been a misunderstanding. I was referring to
the poster ("Christoph Grein") of
    http://www.adapower.com/lang/dimension.html
when I said that "he doesn't know what he's talking about". I've
not been following the haskell cafe thread very closely, but from
what I've seen your (Dylan's) posts are well-informed. Sorry if
there was any confusion.

As you suspect, negative exponents are necessary. How else would you
give a polymorphic type to
  \ x -> 1.0/x
?

However, because of the equivalence on type schemes that's not just
alpha-conversion, many types can be rewritten to avoid negative
exponents, though I don't think that this is particularly desirable.
For example the type of division can be written

  / :: Real (u.v) -> Real u -> Real v

or

  / :: Real u -> Real v -> Real (u.v^-1)

where u and v are "unit" variables.

In fact, I have since solved the simplification problem mentioned
in my ESOP paper, and it would assign the second of these two
(equivalent) types, as it works from left to right in the type. I
guess it does boil down to choosing a nice basis; more precisely
it corresponds to the Hermite Normal Form from the theory of
integer matrices (more generally: modules over commutative rings).

For more detail see my thesis, available from

  http://research.microsoft.com/users/akenn/papers/index.html

By the way, type system pathologists might be interested to know
that the algorithm described in ESOP'94 doesn't actually work
without an additional step in the rule for let (he says shamefacedly).
Again all this is described in my thesis - but for a clearer explanation
of this issue you might want to take a look at my technical report
"Type Inference and Equational Theories".

Which brings me to your last point: some more general system that
subsumes the rather specific dimension/unit types system. There's been
some nice work by Martin Sulzmann et al on constraint based systems
which can express dimensions. See

  http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~sulzmann/

for more details. To my taste, though, unless you want to express all
sorts of other stuff in the type system, the equational-unification-based
approach that I described in ESOP is simpler, even with the fix for let.

I've been promising for years that I'd write up a journal-quality (and
correct!) version of my ESOP paper including all the relevant material
from my thesis. As I have now gone so far as to promise my boss that I'll
do such a thing, perhaps it will happen :-)

- Andrew.