Just for your fun and horror

jhf@lanl.gov jhf@lanl.gov
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:53:13 -0700 (MST)

On 16-Feb-2001 Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> Because imperative languages have named one half of the denotation (the
> value return) and not all of it for a long long long time. It's too late
> for Haskell to change that. -- Matthias

Well now, if I am to understand what a return statement in C does,
I must realize not only that it may return a value to a calling
routine, but also that it preserves the store.  If it allowed
the store to vanish, it wouldn't be very useful, would it?
So I don't see how it's reasonable to assert that "return"
means only one of these two things to a C programmer.

Cheers,
--Joe

Joseph H. Fasel, Ph.D.              email: jhf@lanl.gov
Technology Modeling and Analysis    phone: +1 505 667 7158
University of California            fax:   +1 505 667 2960
Los Alamos National Laboratory      post:  TSA-7 MS F609; Los Alamos, NM 87545