AW: Editor Tab Expansion

Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:05:11 +0100

>>>>> "m" == matt hellige <matt@immute.net> writes:

m> sure. i agree that coding standards are important. if they weren't,
m> clearly it would be a non-issue... my supposition here is that you
m> want to find a style that pleases as many programmers as possible. i
m> see no reason to be intentionally frustrating... ;)

Now I really, really hate Haskell's layout syntax.  But for sure, tab
size isn't an issue here.  You seem to regard it as a style issue when
in fact it has nothing do with style: it's a *representation* issue
for your source code.  If you can't "agree" on tab size, you might as
well not agree not to use EBCDIC.

Any text editor worth its money let's you configure what the tab key
does completely independently from how it displays ASCII TAB
characters in the text, so differences in tab size aren't even visible
to the user; you might as well configure the de-facto standard.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike