Interpret haskell within haskell.

Nicolas Oury Nicolas.Oury@lri.fr
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:52:12 +0100

Hello,
I am not sure to be relevant but I think :

* This kind of thing would be very useful in Haskell, as this language
has shown to be very usable to model foreign problems and do Domain
Specific Language. It would, for example, allow to use a domain
specific  haskell script in an Haskell program.
(For example, a DSL allowing to 	move a turtle on the screen and an
haskell application showing the behavior of the turtle we have
programmed. ) I think as soon someone want to script his application
written in Haskell, he wants to script it using Haskell.

*  This feature should also allow to load a compiled haskell file to
allow better performance by compiling scripts

* I think these kinds of things are possible with a dirty hack  :
compile the script with ghc and dynamically load the .o file using
Andre Pang's runtime loading.  (can be found here
http://www.algorithm.com.au/wiki/hacking/haskell.ghc_runtime_loading)
This last solution is not type safe, but usable.

Hope that can help,
Cheers,

Nicolas Oury