efficiency

Feuer feuer@his.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 04:31:51 -0800

I know what you mean.  However, if you look at it,
data Empty1 a = E1
is a datatype with one constructor, and that constructor takes no arguments.
So this is in fact a "phantom" unit type.
newtype Empty2 a = E2 ()
is in fact better than
data EmptyBad a = EBad ()
because the constructor E will be optimised away, and the type will be share
the representation of the unit type ().  However, I don't see why Empty1 and
Empty2 would differ in any way at all...  In any reasonable implementation,
they would have the same internal representation, right?

Similarly,
data Pair1 v w a = P1 (v a) (w a)
is just a tuple type.  It should be exactly the same as
newtype Pair2 v w a = P2 (v a, w a)

If someone can explain why they would be different, I'm all ears.

By the way, I don't understand why Haskell98 provides both strictness flags
and newtype declarations.... it seems to me that
newtype M [a1 a2 ....] = MC (...)
should be exactly the same as
data N [b1 b2 ....] = NC !(...)
If I'm not mistaken, any compiler too dumb to notice a datatype with only one
constructor strict in its one argument is too dumb to use.