monad thinking process

Cagdas Ozgenc co19@cornell.edu
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:14:45 +0200

Greetings.

I have very little experience with monads. However my first impression is
that there is too much thinking process involved in programming with monads,
and it is very time consuming, at least for a beginner like myself. I don't
know how productivity changes once you get used to programming with them.
Also, I have serious concerns about the maintenance of programs written in
monadic style. Since there is too much plannning overhead, it doesn't seem
suitable for evolutionary software development process.

What do monad experts think? What do you think of code readability? How easy
is it to prove that programs written with monads are correct? How does
changing one function affect other functions, in terms of maintenance?

Thanks